Don't Worry... Be Happy!


Spring break came and went extremely fast.  Especially since mine was cut short due to my senior design and inversion projects.  A large portion of my week was spent working on homework, but I was able to remain on my couch while still wearing my pajamas at two in the afternoon. Even though I was "relaxing" all week, by Sunday I felt more stressed than I did before spring break.  This could have been because I had a major assignment due Monday that was not close to being completed. On the other hand, as a good friend pointed out, it could have been spurred by my laziness. My physical activities were close to none during the week.  I always have known exercising induces endorphins- but what exactly does that mean?

Endorphins are a certain type of chemical in the brain that can be classified as neurotransmitters. The neurotransmitters, found in various locations in the body, are triggered in times of high stress or pain. They are produced by the pituitary gland which is located at the base of the brain near the spinal cord, and react with the opiate receptors of the brain and spinal cord. When activated, the opiate receptors block pain and stress, resulting in temporary euphoric state.
So how does this relate to exercising? Only high intensity workouts induce endorphins. Studies show that simple weight training or casual workouts produce some, but not enough endorphins to notice a difference in pain levels.  High intensity workouts, such as running, cause the body to undergo large amounts of stress, which can be difficult for the body to endure.  The body kicks in and produces endorphins to numb the pain.  Ever wonder why it's possible to jog away the soreness from a previous workout? Endorphins kick in and mask the pain for a couple of hours or even up to a day. Since everyone is different, the chemical reaction has various magnitudes and durations for everybody.

Endorphins are a great way to relieve stress and feel happy in a completely natural way with no adverse side effects. Next time you're feeling down, lace up and go for a jog. 

2 comments:

Benito El Jefe said...

I'm not much of a jogger, but every week I play soccer in my gym class. I always feel great during and for a while after. Might be because soccer rocks. Or that plus the endorphins. Very informative, but you lost me when you said opiate receptors. What is that? Where your body absorbs opium (God forbid)?

Jen Schneider said...

Nice post! I didn't know that about the high intensity part. Helpful information, and I like how you combine it with your personal story.

Post a Comment