Self-Interview and Evaluation (Class exercise)

Self Interview:

Of course this blog is a class assignment in which I am supposed to communicate substantial scientific information and data in a more appealing view to the public; however, I also want to expand my knowledge on a subject I find interesting.  This blog allows me to research a science I am not familiar with, even though sports have been a large part of my life.

Sports are typically a hobby to most- sure a good number of kids aspire to be professional athletes, but the dreams of being the star slowly diminish and the real world sets in.  Even though they are no longer competitive athletes, these people still pick up the ball (or whatever equipment they are familiar with) and play around.  Some, like me, are fascinated by the science behind the movements or the advances in technology.  I hope the topics covered here reach out to any athlete at heart, including engineers, teachers, medical personnel, or the stay at home parents.  The topics covered have been medically focused, which I am hoping to tweaked a small amount.  My focus for this blog includes more than just sports medicine. The topics in mind branch out to the physics behind certain motions and the chemistry of enhancements. 

Blogs resemble any social network: the more you talk to others, the more others will talk to you.  Exposing my blog's url or my screen name on other websites via comments, will enhance the traffic on my posts. This means my posts need to be relevant and entertaining yet informative and scientific. My pictures and videos are eye catching, but can use improvement.  My posts could be a bit shorter and more concise.

Not having an English course for the past three years has taken a toll on my writing.  Geophysical papers tend to contain dry and dull information, with no room for a voice.  Having a blog allows me to express my interest in science with my own, informal voice.  In most cases, sporting events coincide with social events. This blog is hopefully a hangout spot for those who enjoy sports and wish to know more about the physical and medical aspect of their hobby.

The strength of my blog is its uniqueness.  There aren't many in the blogs that cover sports related topics.  I feel that my posts are interesting enough, and cover a wide spread of topics.  My main weakness is the amount of posting.  My posts need to increase, and the time between each post should decrease.  A strength and weakness (double edge sword) is my tone.  I am very informal in my writing style, which might be too relaxed for scientific topics.  I might need to find more in depth topics, instead of just skimming a subject.

I don't believe I use to deficit model in my writing.  I try to be interactive; however, writing these posts I feel that I am lecturing to the public.  I have tried to take subjects typically not talked about, and open them to the public.  An observation I made earlier is I don't ask any questions to the public.  That is one way I can change to a non-deficit model of writing.

I try to make every day sport events interesting to the public.  Answer questions I have asked myself in the past.  By cover subjects such as medicine and the physical aspects of sports and athletes, I have brought in a side of science I have not studied here at Mines.  I never think of medicine or anatomy as science; researching the possibilities and advancements has opened my eyes.  I hope that people read my blog and view me as open and ready to discuss further if they so choose.

Self Evaluation:

First off, I have not been the best about keeping up with posting regularly.  I get on kicks where I post several and then hold back for majority of the week.  With that being said, I feel that I have a decent amount of posts.  Since I am not an expert or a student of my topic, I research before I post.  I try to incorporate videos and pictures to be visually stimulating, but also embedded hyperlinks for further reading.   I am still trying to nail the perfect length of my posts; I have problems sometimes being concise!

Even though I have been bad about commenting on classmates' blogs, I have been searching for other sports related blogs.  I have found a couple, which I visit when I have the chance.  One is by two doctors called Sport Scientists  and the other is on ESPN.  The one on ESPN hasn't been updated and I have read all 10 of his posts.  Even though he is not the best at blogging, he is great at responding to email!

I feel that most of my posts are not deep enough in the topics.  I would like to find more complicated aspects of Sport Science to write about.  There are times I have a hard time finding topics to cover.   Other things I need to work on are (as said before) commenting and updating more frequently.   I need to put my name out there on other blogs and hopefully draw in more attention to my blog!



0 comments:

Post a Comment