Does Sportsmanship Really Exist?

Please note this blog is a side note:  it only relates to sports (and people in general), but not to science. 

Over the past day there have been several instances where I can't believe the actions of the people I am around.  I'm not sure if it's my southern upbringing, or if others feel the same way I do, but people are just down right rude.  Forget comedy, forget sarcasm, forget ignorance- there comes a point when the line has been crossed and the arrogant person should be slapped.  I'm all for being respectful and confronting the person about their actions the first time around; however, the best lessons in life come from either embarrassment or physical pain.  

When I say forget comedy and sarcasm: I'm not saying everything should be stiff and boring- I'm all for having fun and joking around. Comedy (especially today) is directed towards people's misfortunes, but when is it taken too far? Can a simple laugh and the phrase "just kidding" really fix it? Or is the person who got their feelings hurt just a sore loser? My favorite comedies are satirical and I, myself, can be sarcastic, but I also believe there is a time and a place. 

Ignorance is the same way- no one knows it all and ignorant statements/actions are bound to happen. With that being said, when is it okay to hold yourself better than others? Is it ignorant to assume you are better than someone else? All my life I have been taught to question; just because someone has a PhD does not mean they are smart in every aspect of life and hold every answer. They are ignorant in some aspects as well. It goes beyond ignorance, in my opinion, to generalize statements. It also goes beyond ignorance to hold yourself higher than anyone else- is there any difference between a stupid question and a stupid action? If the top of the class is sent to Detox, is he really better than the person who asks a stupid question?

I am a long ways from being perfect, and I know I will never reach it.  It's human nature to judge, criticize, and compete, but with that being said, I have learned a lot from sports.  It's humiliating (going back to the best ways of learning) to lose your composure on the court and your coach takes you out of the game.  It's frustrating to play against teams who sneak in cheap shots; however, it's the most amazing feeling to destroy the opposing team (and in some cases the refs) by walking off the court, and knowing you played your game, and the cheap-shot, dirty sons of biscuit-eaters lost. 

The lesson of sportsmanship can't be taught by sitting down and reading a website (even though this one is very thorough).  It slowly sinks in as you grow up or mature.  I've played basketball since I was four years old, and it wasn't until my senior year of high school I fully grasped the concept.  There is something to be said for thinking about how your actions display your true self.  Before you act next time, think about who you truly are; what the action is really about (if it's even necessary?); and how it truly will affect the other person. 

"Believe in yourself, know yourself, deny yourself, and be humble."- John Treacy (Irish Olympic and World Cross Country Medalist) 

3 comments:

Jen Schneider said...

Cam, I confess that I'm intrigued! You write eloquently and passionately here. But I think by also being vague about what you're referring to, you create a communication gap, not a communication bridge. In other words, I love your passion here, but would like for you to use the blog to write as clearly as you can so that you are encouraging dialogue, not shutting it down. It's soooo tempting to vent in these forums, but I think it can backfire if we're not careful.

Again, I have no idea what you're referring to here, so I hope I don't alienate you in anyway. I would love for you to practice some of the Science Communication skills we have been reading about in future posts.

Benito El Jefe said...

I think I might know the reference. But perhaps by being vague about events, Cam is taking the high road by not pointing a finger at a particular "cheap-shot, son of a biscuit-lover" while still presenting the concept and stating her opinion on it (in her own way, of course!).

It is very true that there are many people out there that have enormous egos and probably do deserve a slap to bring them back to earth. But what would the world be like without them? I, personally, am glad that there are those awful examples out there that I can use to compare against. It is amazing when you find someone that actually is rooted to the planet and is genuinely caring about other people; the kind that would never say a put-down just to boost an ego; the kind that makes you feel like you are truly worthy of attention and company. You probably know the type. Would we take those kinds of people for granted if there weren't any big-headed jerks around to compare with? Would we turn into a jerk if we didn't have an outsider perspective to see how lame those people are?

Cam Keese said...

Jen- You are right on the statement it is easy to vent in the blogs. Thanks for giving me some direction in what I need to work on.

Benito El Jefe- There are several references in this post (not just one), and by being vague I did not take the high road...

As for your point- I understand where you are coming from. I agree with the argument "good cannot exist without evil". Not everyone can be a saint and even those "saints" of friends commit envy, gluttony, pride... you get where I'm going. But why must you group "big-headed jerk" as a lifestyle? Why can't it be an average person who commits a few arrogant actions?

If it does have to be a lifestyle, why does that person deem it okay to neglect others and their feelings/opinions/situations?

Post a Comment